Friday 6 March 2009

Lifestyle change

Brennan Manning wrote that 'the greatest cause of atheism is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door and deny him with their lifestyle.'
How does learning about God's heart for the poor, healing on the streets and doing lifegroup come together? Am I just picking up the latest new thing or doing what God wants. I don't want to become an eco-pharisee or spout off about things I have just heard about but haven't made any changes in my lifestyle. People seem to be looking for authenticity and reality in this post-modern age and this is what challenges their ideas and beliefs. It is easy to project an image of doing good, but the challenge I'm finding is much more difficult is being good. Jesus' words in Matthew 5 :48 "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect" seem unrealistic, when you know me like I do!! Thankfully it isn't about just doing lots of things to get Brownie points with God, instead Micah 6:8 "And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God". I need lots of grace to do that.
Mike Wood said last weekend that it is not so much that we believe in Jesus (even the demons do that), but that we become practitioners, we act out what we believe. Mike Frost (http://www.eauk.org/slipstream/resources/mike-frost-next-generation-church.cfm) challenged me in a series of talks called "Future Church" that we think we know about Jesus, but don't often look at the way he lived and treated people as a template for our own life.
I hate to say this, but what I know I need is balance, between doing and being, believing and behaving, the macro and the micro levels, loving and living it out, rather than just thinking and talking.
How I live reflects whom I believe in. My prayer is that I reflect more of what Jesus is like each day

No comments:

Post a Comment