Wednesday 4 March 2009

2.5 billion people without proper toilet facilities

I have been thinking what 2.5 billion people looks like, and stuggled to get my head round it. If there's 250000 people in Newcastle that's 10000 cities the size of Newcastle or 50000 St James' Park capacity. Sometime numbers are just mindblowing and meaningless, until we see the face of some of those people. Sons and daughters, aunts and uncles, friends and neighbours, work colleagues. There's no other way to put it, IT IS WRONG! How can I be so blase, when day by day I have sufficient and so may are without. Its not to say that I as a Western christian have everything to give and that those in subsaharan Africa, for example, have nothing to give to me. Far from it, friends who have been to Chad tell me that in one of the poorest countries in the world with a hand to mouth existence, there is real faith and above all real joy. How can that be? Becuase they don't take things for granted. father forgive me for taking things for granted, make me grateful for what I have and generous with my resources

No comments:

Post a Comment